Sac State Magazine

Spring 2014

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/289674

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 7 of 35

6 S AC S TAT E M AGA Z I N E | S pr i ng 2 014 6 S AC S TAT E M AGA Z I N E | S pr i ng 2 014 KSSU: Radio by students, for students is a free-form station—the DJs produce the content they desire. It's a platform for students to let their voices be heard, literally. "Our DJs can play what they wish. It can be completely their show, so it fosters and promotes individuality," Mapp says. "Locally, that's what we have that other college stations don't." Former KSSU sports director and current independent broadcaster at Play On! Sports Michael Smith '09 (Mass Communication/Media Studies) felt KSSU allowed him to find his niche. "KSSU was the first organization that gave me the opportunity to pursue my dream job of becoming a sports broadcaster," Smith says. "The station taught me the essence of time and scheduling, while developing rapport with the media relations department. It provides a platform to perform and perfect a skill or passion." —Contributed by Public Relations major Sam Churich (Class of 2014) KSSU station manager Josue "Josh" Alvarez Mapp (left) trains new student DJ Joseph Lozoya. S tudent-run radio station KSSU is more than just a student organization. For station manager Josue "Josh" Alvarez Mapp, KSSU serves as his bond with the University. "The station has given me a place where I get to know people. It's my personal connection to campus," he says. Founded in 1991, KSSU is an Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) program. It offers a platform for the 50 or so club members to promote involvement in current ASI initiatives such as Safe Rides and Cesar Chavez Community Service Day. In turn, campus groups call on KSSU students to bring attention and excitement to events. KSSU students actively participate in activities at Sac State by supplying music or a PA system for organizations like UNIQUE, fraternities and sororities, and Hornet Sports. "KSSU is so vital to campus life because it supports all activities on campus," says Sac State student and former KSSU DJ Sammie Thach. "Whether it is play-by-play calling for football and baseball, or providing music in the Union or quad, KSSU is there." Unlike many other college radio outlets, KSSU Online Extra: Listen live at KSSU.com T he Buzz

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Spring 2014