Sac State Magazine

Spring 2014

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/289674

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 20 of 35

c sus .e du /s a c s t ate ma ga z in e | S pr i ng 2 014 15 I n this year's Oscar-winning Her, the film's main character Theodore Twombly falls in love with well… not a person. Rather, he has a romantic relationship with his computer operating system, "Samantha." As it offers an eerie take on our ongoing hyper-attachment to devices intended to help us connect with well … other people, the movie begs the question: "Are we, like Twombly, becoming more isolated hiding behind all of that new technology?" According to Sacramento State Sociology Professor Todd Migliaccio, the answer is, "No." Hmmm... or perhaps maybe? Migliaccio contends people use technology and the Internet to interact with others online just as much as they do offline. "They use online social networking to extend social relationships that exist offline," says Migliaccio, who teaches about the influence of the Internet and popular culture on society. Enhanced Communication Are we hiding behind a digital facade or is social media improving our personal interactions?

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Spring 2014