Sac State Magazine

Fall 2014

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/386257

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 16 of 31

c sus .e du /s a c s t ate ma ga z in e | Fa l l 2 014 15 Hibma Overset Joshua Wood '05 (Government) Executive Director, Region Builders, a trade association focused on job creation and maximizing economic growth FIRST JOB: Digging fire trenches When it comes to innovation, he thinks small "There are two ways to look at an organization—one is to build and one is to be responsible," Wood says. "Instead of building a big staff, we're building connections and coalitions." All politics is local The association interacts frequently with local city and county governments. And it has the largest business PAC in region. "We want to elect people who have the same vision for creating jobs that we do." He's not afraid to ruffle feathers "If we're being seen as the hero or villain, we're not concerned. We want to be able to set the table." The group has worked to overturn Sacramento's 'big box' store ban and opposed the Arena STOP committee, which sought to block the new arena for the Sacramento Kings. Wood says the arena will bring in 4,000 jobs and $11.5 billion in economic activity. But he can also tread lightly The best advice he ever received: "Never burn a bridge. You might have to crawl back over it." He credits his term as Sac State student body president for his professional success. "It was a huge experience in learning to run a company— dealing with administration, non-profit organizations, budgets. It's the reason I'm where I am." But he might have had to forgo the experience if he'd lost a coin toss to his twin brother, Luke. Both were active in Associated Students and both wanted to run for president. It came down to a coin-flip, and though best two out of three eventually stretched out to best of 10, Josh prevailed. Josh's insight "Never burn a bridge. You might have to crawl back over it."

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Fall 2014