Sac State Magazine

Spring 2014

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/289674

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 13 of 35

12 S AC S TAT E M AGA Z I N E | S pr i ng 2 014 customizable news can limit one's viewpoint. The proliferation of websites, blogs, publications and social media sites where people interact in like-minded communities—bonded by political persuasion, religious belief, sexual orientation, lifestyle or even sports team affiliation—can lead to a form of "group-think" that doesn't always account for reality. "If used correctly, you can get a deeper understanding of the world on the web," says Molly Dugan, a professor of journalism at Sac State. "But with a newspaper you at least read all the headlines to find the stories you were interested in. I think we're at risk of losing some of our well-rounded views." Communication advances remove physical and time boundaries. Waheed Choudhry '96 (Marketing) is responsible for keeping hundreds of businesses networked and up-to-date. He is the president and chief operating officer of Nexus, a steadily growing advanced technology provider with offices all over the United States and Canada. He says the prevalence of cloud-based technology and mobile devices is, in some cases, making cubicles and business complexes a thing of the past. The technology advances of the past decade have also empowered people, enabling business to take place any time, anywhere. "There are so many decisions that wouldn't be made, or would be delayed without cellphone access, email and data," he says. "Overall, it helps provide me better balance, so I can come home at a reasonable hour, help to get the kids to bed and then I'm back online. We're more productive at work, but also more productive in our personal lives. "We're just scratching the surface of how mobility will impact how we work. One of the unique challenges that corporations face In an abundance of options, people want sources they can trust. Google "reliable news sources" and you'll find any number of outlets claiming to be a trusted source. The immediacy of social media and 24-hour news channels can be a boon for sharing up-to-the-minute information during events like the Arab Spring uprisings. But rapidly shifting events also expose the vulnerabilities of immediate reporting we saw during the early hours of the Boson Marathon bombing, when the methods, motives and even identities of those who carried out the attack were misreported. Carol Ann Hackley's 26 years as a communications professor at the University of Pacific mirrored the rise of the Internet, online communication and mobile devices. She says her students helped keep her in the loop on technology advances, but she holds tight to the principles of communication, whether it is journalism, public relations or personal interaction. Hackley, co-author of Wordsmithing: The Art & Craft of Writing for Public Relations, says as news cycles vanish, it's more important than ever to communicate professionally and truthfully. "Fast is good, but not when it's a detriment to the accuracy," says Hackley '61 (Journalism), who retired as a professor in 2011. "Writing with 140 characters (on Twitter) is great, but not when you shortcut grammar. With instant communication you lose clarity and caution." We're not necessarily getting the full story. While the unending flow of information is a net positive, there are concerns that Google: The eponymous search engine went from noun to verb in 2006. So what do more than 191.5 million unique monthly visitors google? Aerial views of their neighborhoods, definitions, translations and equations, and–for more than 56 percent of Internet users–themselves Cloud: A metaphor for the Internet, or another large network. Companies such as Google and Amazon of fer cloud-based services, which are accessed via the Internet and take the place of sof tware and other platforms. Facebook: An online social networking site used by more than one billion people worldwide. Nearly 60 percent of adult Americans use Facebook and among those who use the Internet but do not use Facebook, half live with someone who does. Friended: The act of adding a person to your Facebook network. Adult Facebook users average 338 friends, and 50 percent of users have at least 200 friends. FYI (For your information) truth truth truth

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Spring 2014