Sac State Magazine

Fall 2015

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue

Page 7 of 31

6 S AC S TAT E M AGA Z I N E | Fa l l 2 015 Physical therapy grads a hit on the job market First doctoral cohort 100 percent employed A fter three years of intensive study in the art and science of physical therapy, the entire inaugural cohort of Sac State's doctor of physical therapy program is now at work in the field. "To date, we have a 100 percent employment rate for all graduates," says Michael McKeough, professor of physical therapy and department chair. While about half of the cohort received job offers from the clinics where they interned, some secured jobs after developing mentor relationships with faculty. Guardian Scholars Program provides a source of family for foster youth E ach year, 2,000 California foster youth turn 18 and must leave protective care. While the state provides funds for college tuition, housing and medical care, emancipated foster youth often lack a support system—someone to call when the car breaks down, a shoulder to cry on after a bad test or a bad breakup, a place to go for Thanksgiving dinner. At Sac State, former foster youth turn to the Guardian Scholars Program for that care network, along with more college-specific guidance. Guardian Scholars provides financial advising, academic assistance, career counseling, scholarships, social support in the form of mentors and the camaraderie of other students with a shared experience. In essence, an extended family. For social work majors Shatesha Morris and Christina Sakamoto, the Guardian Scholars Program is much more than a service. Growing up around drug use and living in a Salvation Army shelter, Morris says she felt neglected and in search of attention. Now that is no longer the case. "Guardian Scholars has made me feel welcome," says Morris. "It's definitely a second family for me." Sakamoto needed a place to stay after a series of arguments with her husband and she knew where to turn for support. "The mentors and other students opened their houses up," Sakamoto says. "They were by my side the whole time and it showed they truly care." The Guardian Scholars office in Lassen Hall is "The Guardian Scholars is a safe haven for former foster youth." —Troy Bailey MA '14 One such grad is Daniel Barragan, DPT '15. His dream job: Physical Edge Inc. in Davis, which specializes in treating younger athletes with sports-specific injuries. This summer, Barragan was offered a position at the clinic. "Every professor was extremely supportive and a great resource—they all wanted me to succeed." But when professor Katrin Mattern-Baxter lent a hand by way of a personal recommendation, Barragan's chances for a job skyrocketed. And for Chelsea McCormack, DPT '15, having program faculty who also emphasized hands-on care throughout has become paramount to her job at Genesis Rehabilitation and Wellness in Chico, Calif. Seeing her patients' perspectives and overall outlooks on life improve is by far her favorite take-away from the job. "Someone who is living with pain on a daily basis may be grouchy, or having relationship issues due to the pain," says McCormack. "But when I help them return to something they weren't able to do—like hiking or gardening—they find happiness." T he Buzz Online Extra: Check out our slideshow for additional images from the physical therapy hooding ceremony. SUPPORT NETWORK— For social work majors Shatesha Morris (left) and Christina Sakamoto, the Guardian Scholars Program is like family. JOB READY— Every member of Sac State's first cohort of doctorate in physical therapy graduates has found employment. also a home-away-from-home for its students. "The office is the hangout. Everyone is usually there, especially near the food closet," says Sakamoto. "It's been a lifesaver." Troy Bailey, MA '14 (Higher Education Leadership) wrote his thesis on foster youth in higher education. He found the program a reliable source that also inspired him to become a mentor. "The Guardian Scholars is a safe haven for former foster youth who need a direction to academic success," Bailey says.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Fall 2015