Sac State Magazine

Fall 2016

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/745155

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 18 of 31

Maritza Davis: Keep learning. We'll never know everything. There's so much out there to be inspired by. James Chu: Don't be afraid to fail. Because if you fail, you learned something new. Eric Ullrich: There's no excuses. It's time to get out there and start something. Stacey Powell: Data says with the next wave of graduates, there will not be as many jobs so people will have to default for entrepreneurism. My advice is to be prepared and ask for help. John Meidinger: When I was in high school I didn't know what entrepreneurism was. It's important for Sac State to outreach to high school students and especially to students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Kraig Clark: Persist and move forward and follow that passion that you have. There's going to be a breakthrough. Clarisse Baca: I would tell women in general, and especially minority women, that you can do it. It doesn't matter your background, immigration status, it's possible. Entrepreneurship. The connections we made, the networking are all from that. When we have an IPO I can't wait to give back to Sac State. Clarisse Baca: As an international student, it gave me the opportunity to learn a new language and culture and to get an education. What made me make the decision to come to Sac State is that it made me feel like family. They support you in your professional and personal life and they helped me to become a leader. Last call Gordon Fowler: Any last words of wisdom for up-and-coming entrepreneurs? Roshaun Davis: Collaboration is key. That's the vibe we have. As long as we can maintain that and collaborate we can keep growing. c sus .e du /s a c s t ate ma ga z in e | Fa l l 2 016 17 Online Extra: What more did our entrepreneurs say? See the video at csus.edu/ sacstatemagazine.du/ sacstatemagazine. Entrepreneurship Toolkit Sac State offers a number of resources for students and alumni to get their big ideas off the ground, stimulate outside-the-box thinking or build the workforce: n Center for Entrepreneurship: Incubator for new student and community entrepreneurs offering both physical workspaces and support from faculty and student volunteers. Details: csus.edu/cba/cfe.html n Center for Small Business: Free resource for small businesses, providing advice on business planning and marketing from student teams under the direction of a faculty advisor. Details: csus.edu/cba/csb.html n Center for STEM Excellence: Regional effort to build a workforce pipeline for the STEM disciplines: science, technology, engineering and math. Details: csus.edu/stem n Career Center: Clearinghouse connecting employers with students and graduates. Details: csus.edu/careercenter n Community Engagement Center: Campuswide endeavor to pair non-profit organizations with students for service learning and volunteer projects. Details: csus.edu/cec n Global Entrepreneurship Week Nov. 14-18: Campus celebration of international entrepreneurship with activities—including seminars, networking opportunities and panel discussions—linking the campus with alumni and community entrepreneurs. Details: csus.edu/ua/e-week Each MBA cohort in the College of Business Administration launches five new businesses.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Fall 2016