Sac State Magazine

Fall 2016

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/745155

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 17 of 31

16 S AC S TAT E M AGA Z I N E | Fa l l 2 016 their money, then you can impact their lives. Roshaun Davis: When I first started Unseen Heroes it was really just backing for my band. I was doing the marketing, the PR, the booking and every Sunday there was this guy from another band that would call and ask, 'Can you do what you do for your band for me?' I finally thought, 'Why not? Why don't we start in business out of this? If this guy will pay us we can get others to.' Sacramento: a hotbed for entrepreneurs Gordon Fowler: Entrepreneurship is growing in the region. There's really an entrepreneurial backbone. How has the region welcomed you? Maritza Davis: In Sacramento we are supportive of our own. If you are a holes in your company or what needs to be filled in so that you can propel and move forward. Sometimes I want something to fail just so we can fix it and make it better. James Chu: I think you've got to see the bigger picture. It's easy to look at everything with a microscope and the smallest little bumps. But you can't fixate on it. Those small bumps are not going to affect the overall picture. The "a-ha! moment" Gordon Fowler: What was the moment you knew you had something? What was that spark? Stacey Powell: With Finance Gym, literally I woke up in the middle of the night because I was trying to figure out how to help people who have been struggling with their money and don't have money to pay for finance coaching. And I woke up with this concept of a 24- Hour Fitness that looks like a coffee shop. If you can get people in talking about Sacramentan or if you've been invested in the community for a while, people want to help you. The city's in an upward swing. It's one of the best times to be here. People here are willing to open doors if you are passionate. There's a lot of talent coming out and as someone who's hiring employees, you're always looking for good candidates. James Chu: I was born and raised here, and people talk about the small town feel. In this era of growth that's not a bad thing. By having a small town feel, everyone is accessible. Everyone wants the city to grow and to be innovative. Made at Sac State Gordon Fowler: Tell me about your experience at Sac State? How did your experience help prepare you for what you are doing today? Eric Ullrich: I had an unusual experience in that I only took one semester but the semester transformed my career. And my life. I was taking math classes, considering getting a master's degree when I went to the Career Connection. Through that I got my first internship, which is what totally started my career. John Meidinger: Activity Jungle is truly a 'made at Sac State' business. We are a tenant in the Center for Half a million U.S. entrepreneurs were inspired to start new businesses last year. More than 80 percent of Sacramento's 25,000- plus businesses have fewer than 50 employees.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Fall 2016