Sac State Magazine

Fall 2016

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/745155

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 16 of 31

c sus .e du /s a c s t ate ma ga z in e | Fa l l 2 016 15 to put yourself in every position, even for just a little while, even if you don't want to. Maritza Davis: You have to be a decision-maker. You need to be able to make decisions and you need to make them quickly because they can make or break your company. You can't let things sit too long. Clarisse Baca: I think character and motivation are important. Having a role in mind, asking yourself every day, 'Why are you doing this?' Because the road is bumpy. If you're not really into it, it's easy to get lost. Gordon Fowler: How many of you are operating the way you first laid out your business plan? (Laughter and shaking heads) Roshaun Davis: You need flexibility. There's ups, there's downs. And you have to be able to change things up. And if things aren't working, you have to do it a different way. You need to be able to roll with those punches. You also have to be passionate. You have to be the first one in, and the last one out, at all times. The lessons of failure Gordon Fowler: Let's talk about failure. It's not in our DNA to fail so what have you learned from failure and how has it been a part of your experience? and making sure you can continue to pay those people has become top of mind. Gordon Fowler: I say that you can identify the entrepreneur—no matter the size of the company—because they are either the very best employee or the very worst employee. There's never any in between, because they always think they know how to do it better. The essence of being entrepreneurial Gordon Fowler: What do you consider the traits of an entrepreneur? What do they need to possess to be successful? Stacey Powell: I think as you're 'bootstrapping' one of the most important things is you need to be comfortable enough with doing things that make you uncomfortable. At some point you have Roshaun Davis: For me failure doesn't mean the definition that most people think. In the many ventures I was involved in before this, I learned things along the way. If something comes up now I think, 'I dealt with that years ago. I got it. I know how to do it now.' If I wasn't okay with failure, I wouldn't be where I am now doing what I'm doing. Kraig Clark: It's a big journey and you are going to have a whole series of failures. It accelerates thinking on your feet, preparing and trying not to repeat yourself. You just have to keep going. Maritza Davis: Sometimes the best thing to have happen is failing on certain things. That's when you really see those Seventy-five percent of economic wealth nationwide is generated by small- and medium-sized businesses Of success and failure, America's most celebrated entrepreneur, Thomas A. Edison, said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Fall 2016