Sac State Magazine

Spring 2016

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/651990

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 13 of 39

12 S AC S TAT E M AGA Z I N E | S pr i ng 2 016 Keeping a close eye on those taxpayer dollars is where you'll find Carlos Ramos '86, Director, California Department of Technology. C arlos Ramos '86 (Communication Studies) originally envisioned a career filing stories in a newsroom and even interned at Sacramento television station KCRA. Today, Ramos sits in an office perched high above the Sacramento skyline where he manages a multibillion- dollar portfolio of the state's largest and most complex technology initiatives. But spend a little time with the director of California's Department of Technology and it quickly becomes apparent that the tech-savvy industry leader hasn't strayed far from the journalistic principles of connecting with an audience. "I think about being on the consumer end. If many had a choice, they wouldn't be doing business with government in the first place," Ramos says. "But they simply don't have a choice when it comes to paying taxes, being unemployed or getting food stamps. If we can make it easier for them, for example by providing access to services online, they have more control and maybe that's helping make government a little friendlier for people." State government is a major economic driver for California and the Sacramento region. Of the approximately 200,000 people employed by the state, more than 74,000 are located in Sacramento County And when it comes to the technology industry, California-based companies lead the nation with nearly $700 billion in revenue and more than a million employees. "Government has a responsibility to be more effective and efficient, and often accomplishes this through the use of technology," says Ramos. State government is a major economic driver in the eighth-largest economy in world. GOVERNMENT CALIFORNIA Dreaming

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Spring 2016