Sac State Magazine

Spring 2016

Sac State Magazine is a publication produced by the Office of Advancement Communications and Stewardship at Cal State University, Sacramento highlighting alumni, students, faculty and staff.

Issue link: http://sacstatemagazine.uberflip.com/i/651990

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 11 of 39

M ultibillion-dollar technology projects? Check. A mission to Mars? Check. Helping boost tourism across the state? Check. You name it and Sac State alumni are leading the charge behind some of California's largest industries from travel and technology to agriculture and entertainment. California has the largest economy of any state in the nation and the University plays an important role pumping more than $1 billion and sustaining nearly 9,000 jobs annually throughout the state. In the next few pages, we introduce you to a handful of the 180,000 Sac State alumni who currently live and work in California. You may not know them personally, but you've likely seen their work, used their services or read about their accomplishments. Successful in their industries, these proud Hornets share their thoughts on qualities and philosophies that define great leaders. The topic is a popular one. In fact, Amazon has more than 30,000 titles on leadership including "Truth, Trust + Tenacity: How Ordinary Leaders Become Extraordinary Leaders," a book written by Ritch Eich '66 (Speech Communication). "Sac State's leaders helped me realize that to lead others, you first must learn how to follow and how to listen," says Eich. "And to lead effectively, you have to keep your emotions in check, stay true to your beliefs but admit when you're wrong, know what is truly important to you, and be able to communicate your thoughts clearly and thoughtfully." Eich's top 5 tips on effective leadership are listed on page 15. But first, take a look at how the professional contributions of our alumni are creating a positive ripple effect throughout the state's economy. Sac State alumni keep Golden State's economy booming 10 S AC S TAT E M AGA Z I N E | S pr i ng 2 016 Sources: California Film Commission, State of California, California Department of Food and Agriculture, Parks Forward, Jet Propulsion Laboratories, Tourism Economics CALIFORNIA Dreaming Online Extra: For complete profiles on these alumni visit csus.edu/sacstatemagazine

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sac State Magazine - Spring 2016